The department aims to provide all pupils with opportunities to develop:
- knowledge and understanding of key ideas in the three main subjects in Biology, Chemistry and Physics together with aspects of environmental science, earth science and information technology.
- the ability to design, carry out and evaluate scientific investigations and to communicate the results in a variety of ways.
- awareness of the ways in which scientific knowledge is applied and the effects that developments in the science and technology have on individuals, communities and the environment.
- some understanding of the nature of science; the ways in which scientific ideas
develop and change through time and how the nature of scientific theories and the way they are used, depend on social and cultural factors and ethical and moral judgements.
- awareness of the importance of scientific qualifications as a basis for career development and as a preparation for further education, training or employment.